Lifecycle of the equipment
The lifecycle of the equipment in detail:
- New equipment being added to the inventory
- Equipment being replaced due to failures
- Old equipment being decommissioned
1 - Computer case
The autocollecting inventory solution for computers is described in detail on the OCS web site.
a) New equipment
New computers are automatically detected by OCSInventory. GLPI integrates quite nicely with OCS and is able to import most of the technical characteristics of your equipment.
Additionally, you might specify the following information:
- management information: user, group, tech contact, location, inventory number
- network information: network, port, work area outlet, VLAN
- financial infomation: acquisition date, guarantee information, amortisation, …
- contract information: associated support contract
Replacing a machine will be detected automatically by OCS duplicate detection. I will check for the following parameters: computer name, serial number, MAC address. It will propose a merge action whenever it detects a duplicate.
GLPI will dump the old computer entry and recreate a new computer with the next OCS synchronization.
In case of a location change …. (incomplete!)
c) End of life
After the end of life of a computer, OCS will stop receiving any inventory information. However, GLPI will not delete the computer entry automatically from the inventory database.
You have to delete the computer entry manually - this will mark the entry as “deleted” and set the “Trace_deleted” attribute for OCS.
You can still query for deleted machine in GLPI.
- Login to GLPI
- Click Inventory → Computers
- Change the most left dropdown value from “No” to “Yes” (next to trash icon)
- Click to Search button
* There is no such “dropdown” on this page!